One of the most popular Stock Brokers in India, Zerodha is renowned to provide an immensely convenient, reliable and systematized Trading and Investment platform to its users. Zerodha Online Account Open process is simple as well.
Zerodha is registered under Central Depository Services Limited (CDSL) and is continuously monitored by SEBI.
Zerodha mainly deals in NSE, BSE, MCX, and MCX-SX and is praised for its brokerage charges which are almost 60% lower than the charges of other brokers.
Zerodha charges the amount which is lower amongst 0.03% or Rs.20 as its fixed brokerage cost, inconsiderate of the number of shares.
Zerodha Online Trading
Zerodha Online Account Services are extremely quick, easy and efficient to use which make it suitable for both beginner and professional Traders and Investors.
Hence, even if you are very new to the domain of trading, you can still conveniently buy and sell shares on Zerodha Platforms with ease. This is as it provides a minimal and easy-to-use experience to its users.
Zerodha retains a support team of hundreds of executives who ensure a rapid resolvement of problems and queries of each and every customer.
Zerodha has constantly been growing and upgrading its technologies. It offers a minimal design on its website with features like dashboard, browser notifications, streaming quotes and a lot more.
Aimed at providing the greatest customer-experience, it has spread its area of usage to three different Zerodha Online Account Platforms through the means of its trading software called Zerodha Kite.
Zerodha Kite can be used amongst three different platforms which are the Zerodha Kite Web, Zerodha Kite Mobile App and Zerodha Kite Connect API.
Zerodha Kite Web
Zerodha Kite Web is an online website constructed to access zerodha online account for trading with the latest technologies and innovations. It offers its users with a speedy option to search amongst thousands of Stocks, Futures and Options, Bonds, Derivatives, etc.
Zerodha Kite Web also allows its customers to access Level 3 data which gives in-depth information about market liquidity. In addition to this, the Kite Website provides multiple keyboard shortcuts for even faster navigation to its pages.
Zerodha Kite Mobile App
The Mobile App created by Zerodha is a light and fast application which is available on both Android and iOS platforms.
Zerodha Kite Mobile App provides similar features for zerodha online account as that on Zerodha Kite Web and allows its users to do buying and selling through making just a few clicks on their cell phone.
Apart from Zerodha Kite, Zerodha offers two more mobile applications to its users which are Coin by Zerodha and Zerodha Varsity.
Coin by Zerodha app is created to uphold mutual funds investments whereas Zerodha Varsity is an informative app which is created to educate Zerodha Users and further enhance their knowledge regarding stocks and trading.
Zerodha Connect API
Zerodha Kite Connect API is an Application Programming Interface built with HTTP/JSON which allows two different applications to connect amongst each other.
Kite Connect API is beneficial for new companies in the trading business and for retail traders who wish to make their trades automatic.
Zerodha Online Account Opening
With the comprehensible methods of technology of Zerodha, it has become fairly simple to open a Trading and Demat Account.
You can perform a Zerodha Online Account Opening by sitting anywhere and at any time of the day, irrespective of your location.
|Also Read: How to find Zerodha Brokerage|
However, before heading towards to Open Zerodha Account Online, I recommend you to read the below mentioned points as it will become a lot easier for you to open an account online after keeping the given information handy.
Zerodha Account Details – Document List to Open Zerodha Account Online
Following is the list of documents which are mandatory to be submitted while applying for Zerodha Online –
- Aadhaar Card linked to your mobile number
- PAN Card
- Recent Bank Statement (with IFSC and MICR Code) or a Cancelled Cheque
- Photo or Scan of your Signature
- A Proof of Income from either 6-month Bank statement, salary slips, Form-16, Income Tax Return Acknowledgement, Demat holding statement, or Certificate of Networth from a Chartered Accountant.
Please note that depositing the Proof of Income is only compulsory if you are going to trade in Futures and Options, i.e. Equity, Commodity and Currency.
Zerodha Charge List – For Online Account
|Type of Zerodha Account||Charges for Resident Indian (in Rs.)||Charges for NRI (in Rs.)|
Next thing which you need to know before starting to apply to Open Zerodha Account Online is that you compulsorily need to have access to DigiLocker.
Digilocker is an online platform which is supported by the Government of India under the Digital India Program.
As the name might suggest, DigiLocker is simply a ‘Digital Locker’ which contains the electronic form of all original documents of an individual issued by the Central and State Governments.
It also contains Educational Documents, Banking and Insurance Documents and various others.
Therefore, as it is mandatory to share your Aadhaar Card details while applying for a Zerodha Account Online, you will be asked by Zerodha to sign-in to your DigiLocker Account to provide the details of the same.
Hence, if you do not have a DigiLocker Account yet, I would recommend you to first go and sign-up over the official website of DigiLocker.
This is to be done so that you could conveniently share your Aadhaar Card details later while creating an account with Zerodha online.
I know it has been a lot of information but I want you to be prepared with all the things so that it later does not cause any confusion or delay while opening your Zerodha Account Process.
I promise it is the last thing you need to know before actually beginning to apply for your Zerodha Account Online.
|Also Read: What is Zerodha Margin?|
As your Zerodha ‘application form’ would require your e-Signature, this task is required to be done through an Authorized Service Provider called Digio.
As per CCA and UIDAI, Digio is a licensed certifying authority through which you can eSign on your Aadhaar.
After the recent modifications of rules by UIDAI, on opening Digio, it will ask you to eSign using your VID instead of using your Aadhaar Number.
VID is your Virtual ID which is a 16 digit random number set. Hence, while eSigning, you will be asked to enter your VID which can be created on spot or by visiting the resident portal of UIDAI which is https://resident.uidai.gov.in/vid-generation
Zerodha Account Opening – Step-by-Step Process
Zerodha Account Opening Procedure
- Step 1: Visit the official website of Zerodha which is https://zerodha.com/
- Step 2: Click on the ‘Sign-up’ button which will be located on the top-right corner on the Zerodha Home Page.
- Step 3: On doing so, it will ask you to enter your mobile number.
- Step 4: Now enter the OTP sent on your mobile number and click ‘Continue’
- Step 5: Enter your PAN Card Details and your Date of Birth in the given columns and click on the ‘Continue’ button
- Step 6: It will direct you to the payments page where you will be required to pay Rs. 300 (Rs. 200 for Trading and Demat Account and Rs. 100 for Commodity Account). You can uncheck on the ‘commodity’ box to save your money if you wish to trade in equity only.
- Step 7: Now you will be redirected to your Bank Site for completing the payment
- Step 8: After successfully making the payment, Zerodha will ask to share your Aadhaar Details. To do so, click on the ‘Connect to Digilocker’ option
- Step 9: You will have to sign-in to your DigiLocker Account if you are already registered. However, in case you don’t have a DigiLocker Account, you can also click on the ‘Sign-up’ option to create one.
- Step 10: To sign-in to DigiLocker, enter your details and click on ‘Sign-in with OTP’
- Step 11: After receiving your OTP, enter it in the specified column and then press the ‘Continue’ button
- Step 12: Now enter your security pin of DigiLocker and click on ‘Submit’
- Step 13: Press the ‘Allow’ button to provide access to Zerodha to your DigiLocker Account. Please note that if you click on ‘Deny’, you will not be able to complete the process of opening your Zerodha Account
- Step 14: You will then be directed to a page where Zerodha will ask you to share a copy of your Aadhaar Card. To do so, click on the ‘Share’ button
- Step 15: After this, you will be required to enter your Personal Details and your Bank Account details in the specified columns
- Step 16: On entering all the details as asked, scroll down on the page where you will find out four checkboxes. ‘Check’ them after reading it thoroughly and then click on ‘Continue’
- Step 17: After doing so, an in-Person-Verification (IPV) page will load with an OTP. You simply need to write that OTP on a paper and hold it in front of the camera, such that the OTP is clearly visible
- Step 18: There will be a pop-up on the top-left corner of the IPV page. Press ‘Allow’ so that Zerodha can access your Web Camera
- Step 19: Once you are ready with the OTP, click on the ‘Capture’ button
- Step 20: Now you will be directed to the eSign with Aadhaar Page. Click on ‘choose a file’ to upload all the necessary documents like Bank Statement, Income Proof, Scanned copy of your Signature and a Digital Copy of your PAN and click on ‘eSign Equity’
- Step 21: You will be directed to the Digio Website. Click on ‘Continue’ to receive the security code
- Step 22: Now enter the security code received on your email id and then press ‘Submit’
- Step 23: Verify the form you have filled to ensure that there are no error and then click on ‘Sign now’
- Step 24: Now enter your Aadhaar Number/VID and OTP and click on ‘Submit’
- Step 25: Lastly, you will be redirected to the Zerodha Page. Zerodha will send you your login credentials on your email id once your Zerodha Account is active
Zerodha Options for Nominee
If you wish to apply for a Nominee for your Zerodha Trading and Demat Account, you will be required to fill a ‘Nominee Form’ which can be availed from the official website of Zerodha.
You will need to take a printout of it, duly fill it and then mail it to the Zerodha Headquarters located in Bangalore.
However, keep in mind that if you are adding a nominee to your Trading and Demat Account, he/she will also become a nominee of your mutual funds.
Additionally, if you have already nominated a person and want to replace them with someone else, you will need to fill an ‘Account Modification Form’ which can be downloaded from Zerodha Website.
You will need to correctly fill a printout version of it and then send it to Zerodha Headquarters. Please note that you will be charged Rs. 25 + 18% GST for making such modifications.
Demat Account Opening in Zerodha – PoA
After completing the process of opening Zerodha Trading and Demat Account, I advise you to send a Power of Attorney (PoA) of your Demat Account to Zerodha.
A Power of Attorney is simply a document which specifies the rights of Zerodha to use your Demat Account to transfer the shares when you sell them.
Hence, if you do not provide a Power of Attorney to Zerodha, you will only be able to buy shares and would not be able to sell them.
This is because purchasing the shares would simply gather all your securities in your Demat Account which requires no permission. Whereas, when you sell those shares, Zerodha would require the permission (PoA) for transferring.
|Also Read: How much late fees penalty you will have to pay in case of late GST return filing|
Therefore, if you wish to provide the PoA to Zerodha, a printed version of the Power of Attorney Form is required to be filled and is needed to be mailed to the Zerodha Headquarters located in Bangalore.
Although, you can sell your shares without giving PoA to Zerodha if your portfolio is lower than Rs. 1 Crore.
You can place a delivery sell instructions with the CDSL TPIN which implies a limit of a maximum of Rs. 1 Crore per day. Whereas, the off-market transfers are restricted to Rs. 2 lakhs per scrip and Rs. 10 Lakhs overall per day.
Commodity in Zerodha – Account Opening
A Zerodha Commodity Account can only be opened if (a) you already have an existing Zerodha Trading and Demat Account or (b) you are willing to open a Zerodha Trading and Demat Account.
Hence, in the latter case, you can follow the steps mentioned above regarding ‘Zerodha Account Opening Procedure’.
However, if you already have a Zerodha Trading and Demat Account, you will have to download the ‘Commodity Trading Form’ from the official website of Zerodha and take it out in a printed format.
After that, you will need to fill it and attach it with the necessary documents (as mentioned above) and send it to the Zerodha Headquarters in Bangalore.
Please Note that there is no Online Method available for zerodha account opening for a Commodity Account for existing Zerodha and Demat Account Users.
Zerodha Contact Details
All the documents like Nominee Form, Power of Attorney Form, Commodity Trading Form etc which are required to be sent offline in a printed format should be sent to this following given address only-
153/154 4th Cross Dollars Colony,
Opp. Clarence Public School,
J.P Nagar 4th Phase, Bangalore – 560078
Zerodha Contact Information: